Losing a loved one is one of the most difficult experiences anyone will ever go through. Along with your grief, you may experience harm to your financial stability as you struggle to make ends meet. You don’t deserve that. You deserve to focus on the future and processing your trauma. Still, you might not know where to start—especially if you’ve never filed a high-stakes insurance claim before.
Sargent Law Firm Injury Lawyers offers more than legal advocacy; we offer client-focused legal care that prioritizes your needs. An Escondido personal injury lawyer from our team can file your wrongful death case and handle everything that goes into recovering fair compensation. Take this time to focus on your new normal and allow us to break ground on your injury claim.
Begin your free case review when you call (844) SARGENT.
We’re Committed to Seeking Financial Recovery for Your Wrongful Death Case
If you lost a loved one in Escondido, we offer our condolences and our commitment to your legal goals. We’re aware that compensation can’t undo your loved one’s fatal accident. Yet, it can offer the resources you need to start this new chapter in your life.
Financial recovery through a claim or lawsuit may include:
- End-of-life care costs. Your loved one may have required medical care in the aftermath of their accident. We can seek coverage for palliative care and in-home nursing costs.
- Funeral costs. Even a small celebration of life ceremony can cost thousands of dollars. Not to worry; we can include those costs in your claim’s overall value, ensuring your loved one gets the memorial they deserve.
- Loss of the decedent’s financial contributions. We can seek the cost of your loved one’s anticipated earnings if their income contributed to your household’s operations.
- Pain and suffering and other non-economic damages. Compensation isn’t just limited to your economic damages. You can also seek recovery for losses without inherent financial values. These can include loss of consortium, pain and suffering, and mental anguish.
The exact damages you can recover depend on many factors unique to your situation, including the role of your late loved one in your life. When you entrust us with your case, our Escondido injury lawyers can explain your financial recovery options, along with what constitutes a fair settlement offer.
The Statute of Limitations Imposes a Strict Filing Deadline
In a perfect world, you would have time to process your grief, rebuild your life, and then, once you have the energy, file a lawsuit. However, the legal system isn’t exactly generous when it comes to accepting and processing civil lawsuits. Per CCP §335.1, you have just two years to file your wrongful death lawsuit.
Time flies in the aftermath of a loved one’s unexpected passing. What’s more, the longer you delay, the more likely that some evidence may become unavailable. Our team can break ground on your case as soon as possible. During your free consultation, we can discuss the benefits of prompt legal action and how you benefit. Call (844) SARGENT to get started.
Why Entrust Your Wrongful Death Claim to Our Injury Law Firm?
For more than a decade, our personal injury lawyers have put clients’ needs first. We’ve recovered more than $40 million in damages, and we’re ready to recover what you need, too. We find that clients say great things about us because:
Our Law Firm Offers Comprehensive Legal Support
With your wrongful death claim in our hands, you can rest assured that we’re doing everything possible to guide your case to a fair conclusion. We pride ourselves on having created a seven-step process for securing financial recovery. Here:
- You call our law firm and begin your free case review. We’re available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- If we’re a good fit, you can hire us during this same discussion.
- We sit down and create your case’s strategy. This may involve suing a trucking company or filing a premises liability claim. It depends on the details of your loved one’s passing.
- We connect with healthcare providers in our network about your loved one’s fatal condition. Over the years, we’ve cultivated relationships with doctors in the Escondido area who can share their insights with your lawyer, allowing us to build a strong case based on medical insight.
- We file your wrongful death claim and negotiate with the liable insurer. Ideally, we can resolve your case through negotiations, so you don’t have to worry about going to court.
- Throughout our back-and-forth discussions with the insurance company, we shield you from bad faith insurance practices that attempt to derail your case.
- If we think that litigation is the best option for your case, we can sue the at-fault party and proceed with a wrongful death lawsuit.
Our Case Results Illustrate Our Commitment to Success
Time and time again, our wrongful death lawyers secure fair compensation for grieving families. We’re proud to have secured these outcomes:
- $6 million. Our client lost his father to a fatal premises liability incident. After two years of litigation, we recovered damages from the at-fault party and the liable homeowner’s insurance policy.
- $5.8 million. Our client lost a loved one to a fatal truck accident. Initially, the insurance company only offered $2 million. Yet, we knew what our client’s losses were really worth, and we fought tirelessly to achieve the final settlement in the high seven-figures.
- $4.2 million. Our client was nine months pregnant when a drunk driver caused an accident that resulted in fetal death. Although the at-fault party was in jail, that did not deter us from seeking and obtaining financial justice.
Your case’s results depend on many unique factors, including the cost of your wrongful death-related damages. You can trust that with the advocacy of our Escondido injury lawyer, your needs come first.
We Operate on a Contingency-Fee Basis
You may feel overwhelmed just thinking about affording a lawyer. After all, you’re facing many financial obligations in the aftermath of your loved one’s passing. Our team understands that you don’t need another stressor. We aim to make this period as hassle-free as possible. So, we extend our services on a contingency-fee basis.
In this arrangement, you’re never expected to pay upfront fees or retainers. If we recover compensation, a portion of your settlement or award accounts for our efforts. If you lost a loved one to negligence, our team is on your side.
Listen to What Previous Clients Share About Our Quality of Service
Nobody sums up our legal representation better than the people we’ve served. While we can’t share every single testimonial here, we believe that these comments sum up our commitment to client satisfaction:
“Ryan Sargent and his staff are extremely competent and provide first class service and representation to all their clients. Do not hesitate to contact them for your initial consultation. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.” –S.P.
“Ryan has been so professional and a pleasure to work with for the past year and a half. I would highly recommend him as an attorney for the injured. He’s an incredible businessman with exceptional knowledge and experience.” –D.M.D.
“Personal injury attorney Ryan Sargent is great. You do not pay anything unless you win. If you have been injured in Southern California and need a lawyer, you want to call Ryan.” ––A.P.
We strive to make you feel as comfortable as possible throughout the claims process. With our advocacy, you can expect support at each phase of your case.
What Could Bolster My Escondido Wrongful Death Claim?
There are certain considerations that could make or break your personal injury case. While our team handles the legal aspects of your claim or lawsuit there are some measures that could strengthen your case and compel damages from the liable insurer. If possible, you should:
- Document your losses. Keep all invoices, bills, and receipts regarding your case-related damages. Your lawyer can use these items to determine a fair settlement value.
- Keep all correspondence between yourself and the involved parties. If you get emails or text messages from the insurance company, save those for your records. That way, if the insurer offers conflicting information, we can use these messages to set the matter straight.
- Refer all settlement offers to your lawyer. The insurance company should not contact you once you’ve secured legal representation. We handle all case-related messages with the insurer. That way, you’ll never feel pressured into accepting a low offer.
You can learn more about what actions could bolster your Escondido wrongful death case during your free, no-obligation consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions About Wrongful Death Cases
California law makes no exceptions for misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the legal process. It’s vital that you understand certain matters regarding your case, so you can make informed decisions and keep your case in compliance with state procedure.
We find that wrongful death claimants often ask:
“How Long Does It Take to Recover Damages?”
This answer varies on a case-by-case basis. Cases can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few years to resolve. Your case’s progression depends on many factors, including the evidence available and the other party’s willingness to settle.
“How Much Can I Recover?”
The value of your wrongful death claim, just like its timeline, is unique to your situation. Some factors that can influence your case’s value may include:
- The severity of your loved one’s pre-death condition
- Your economic losses
- Your loved one’s role in your household
- Any allegations of fault
- The details of the fatal accident itself
California does not set minimum or maximum amounts on personal injury cases. You can trust our team to arrive at a figure that fairly represents your past, present, and future injury-related hardships.
“Do I Have to Accept the Insurance Company’s First Offer?”
No. You are under no obligation to accept the insurance company’s first offer. In fact, you shouldn’t. Some insurance companies hope to take advantage of grieving families by offering seemingly fast and easy settlement offers. However, an initial offer often only accounts for a fraction of what you’re really owed.
Your Escondido wrongful death lawyer will assess your losses and explain what constitutes a fair offer. We can negotiate to get the compensation you deserve or take your case to court if we believe that is the best option.
“What Happens if the Statute of Limitations Expires?”
If the statute of limitations expires on your wrongful death case, you could lose the right to seek damages through litigation. This also means that the insurance company would likely refuse to negotiate. With prompt notification, our team can get started on your case and comply with all relevant deadlines.
“Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in California?”
California law notes that the immediate family members can initiate (and benefit from) a wrongful death lawsuit. These parties include the decedent’s:
- Spouse or domestic partner
- Children (whether biological, adopted, or stepchildren)
- Grandchildren if their parents are deceased
Understanding the laws surrounding wrongful death cases can be difficult. Our team can explain these procedures, so you understand everything moving forward.
Call Today to Connect With Our Escondido Wrongful Death Team
Don’t let uncertainty about your legal claim keep you up at night. Instead, connect with Sargent Law Firm Injury Lawyers, your local law firm, for your free, no-obligation case review. During our conversation, we can discuss your legal rights, case’s obligations, and next steps. As noted, the state limits how long you have to file a wrongful death lawsuit. So, we urge you to explore your options today. Dial (844) SARGENT to get started.