While you are driving a car, you may do everything possible to stay safe, but there’s no accounting for other drivers. When you drive alongside negligent drivers, their behavior may cause an accident that results in considerable injuries and financial losses. You’ll have to pick up the pieces.
The steps you take after a car accident occurs make a big difference in the outcome of your case. If you or someone you love was hurt in a car accident because of another driver’s negligence, an Oceanside car accident attorney from Sargent Law Firm Injury Lawyers may be able to help you recover compensation. We will handle your legal case so you can focus on healing. Call us today at (844) SARGENT for your free initial consultation.
Our Car Accident Lawyers Can Recover Compensation for Your Injuries
A car accident can change your life forever. Not only could you sustain severe injuries that can take months or years to recover from, but you could also end up with financial losses that put your future in jeopardy.
Healthcare costs are a leading cause of bankruptcy in the United States, according to the American Bankruptcy Institute. Consulting with an attorney who specializes in car accident cases may benefit you. They can offer advice about how to pursue compensation, and they’ll determine which damages you can recover.
If another driver’s negligence is the cause of your injuries and subsequent financial losses, you have the right to recover compensation, even if it means filing a personal injury lawsuit. Our firm has won multimillion-dollar settlements and verdicts for our clients, including compensation for damages such as:
- Medical bills: This typically includes compensation for expenses such as hospitalization, surgery, medication, transportation, and future medical treatment relating to your injury.
- Lost income and benefits: Compensation can cover your lost income if you are temporarily or permanently unable to work because of your injury.
- Home modifications: You may require changes to your home to accommodate and adapt to your injury.
- Property damage: Compensation can cover the cost of vehicle repairs and lost items such as your phone.
- Household services: You may not be able to clean your home or do yardwork because of your injuries. Compensation can cover the expense of hiring someone to perform those tasks for you.
- Non-economic damages: Although more challenging to calculate, you can recover compensation for non-economic damages, which include pain and suffering, emotional distress, disability, disfigurement, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment.
The value of an auto accident case varies depending on the seriousness of your injuries, how much income you earn, and the total cost of your financial expenses.
In addition, you can also recover wrongful death damages if you lost someone you love in a car accident. We are sorry if such a tragic loss is the case, and we offer our condolences and support to you and your family during this painful time. We want to handle your case so you can grieve and focus on your family’s well-being.
Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer to Handle Your Car Accident Case
Even though the aftermath of a collision may feel like an impossible battle, an Oceanside car accident attorney from our firm has the experience and training necessary to handle your case so you can turn your attention to taking care of your family and healing.
A personal injury case, much like the legal process itself, is complex. Both often move slowly, and it could take weeks, months, or longer to resolve your case. You can agree to settle your case at any time, but if you desire accountability and justice, you may choose to take your case to court.
If you hire us to handle your case, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the accident and determine who is liable for your injuries.
- Collect evidence proving negligence is the cause of your injuries and gather documentation to demonstrate your financial losses.
- Determine the value of your case and evaluate settlement offers you receive from the negligent party and their insurer.
- Negotiate a fair settlement with the negligent party and their insurance provider and review the terms of any settlement agreement with you before you sign it.
- Prepare your case and file a lawsuit if necessary.
- Guide you through the legal process and protect your rights while we look out for your best interests.
A car accident case does not have to be a burden. We can make the legal process our responsibility and handle all case tasks for you.
How Much Does It Cost to Work With Our Oceanside Car Accident Lawyers?
Worrying about the cost of a lawyer is understandable. You are already facing significant financial losses, so you don’t want to add more bills into the mix. However, our personal injury lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, which means you don’t pay anything unless you win your case.
There are no upfront costs to worry about when you hire an attorney from Sargent Law Firm Injury Lawyers. You will receive additional details about how payment works from your lawyer so there are no surprises in the end. We also offer free consultations so you can ask us questions about your case while we evaluate it.
We know this is a difficult time and that money is tight. We sympathize with your situation. That is why we believe you should have access to legal representation regardless of your financial status.
You Must File Your Car Accident Lawsuit on Time
You want to take time to consider your legal options, but taking too long to decide could result in the loss of your right to file a personal injury lawsuit to recover compensation through the legal system.
California generally only gives you a two-year time limit to file a personal injury lawsuit to recover damages, according to CCP § 335.1. Missing the deadline could result in the court dismissing your case.
Our firm will work to meet all deadlines in your case, including the statute of limitations. You have the right to take your case to court.
Prove Fault for Your Car Accident & Recover the Compensation You Deserve
Many mistakes can cause a car accident. If you were hurt in an accident that happened in one of the following ways, you may be entitled to compensation:
- Intoxication: Intoxication due to drugs or alcohol is a common cause of car accidents. While drivers will typically be considered at fault if they are driving with a blood alcohol content of .08 or above in California, they may exhibit unsafe behavior before reaching that limit. Drugs can impair driving as well.
- Distractions: Many distractions can take a driver’s attention off the road. Electronic mobile devices such as phones are a main culprit. Drivers can also be distracted by billboards, multi-tasking in the car such as eating, doing their makeup, and changing the radio station.
- Road hazards: Not all accidents are a driver’s fault. For example, there may be debris in the road or a pothole that causes the car to swerve, leading to a hazardous situation. In these instances, a contractor or the city may be to blame for the crash.
Our Oceanside car accident lawyers can analyze the cause of your accident and evaluate the compensation you deserve, building a case that establishes your entitlement to damages.
What to Do to Protect Your Oceanside Car Accident Claim
The steps you take after a car accident can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. Our team recommends that you:
- Get yourself and others to safety: Stay at the scene of the accident and move your vehicle out of the way of traffic. If someone seems badly injured, do not move them unless you are doing so to save their lives. Moving them can worsen their injuries.
- Call the police: Law enforcement will provide a police report that can serve as a valuable piece of evidence.
- Call for medical assistance: It’s important to call for medical assistance, even if you don’t think you are badly hurt. A provider will create a medical report that documents your injuries and ties them directly to the accident. If you don’t call for medical help, and your injuries worsen later, the defendant may try to say they weren’t caused by the accident.
- Do not say anything that implies guilt: Never do anything to establish guilt such as saying, “I’m sorry” or “It’s my fault” to the other driver or their insurer. If the police ask you what happened, only provide details that you are sure are accurate.
- Gather evidence: It’s advisable to gather evidence directly after the accident happens. If you are feeling well enough, take pictures at the scene, doing your best to capture all angles and all signs of damage. You should also get the contact information of all the other parties involved as well as any witnesses. Use a pen and paper or your phone to jot down recollections of what occurred.
- Consult a car accident lawyer: Talking to a lawyer can help you sort out and consider your options, and it also gives your attorney time to build your case. A lawyer from our firm is ready to talk to you about your case.
You Deserve Compensation If You Were Injured in a Car Accident
Several types of injuries can occur in a car accident. Some injuries are more common than others, depending on whether you were in a rear-end accident or a T-bone crash. Here are some of the most common:
- Broken bones: Car accident victims often fracture their arms, knees, legs, and ribs. While some fractures are minor, others require extensive surgery and can cause permanent damage.
- Chest injuries: Chest injuries can be caused by impact with the airbag, seatbelt, or dashboard. More serious types of chest injuries include organ damage, collapsed lungs, and broken bones.
- Facial injuries: Facial injuries can occur due to flying glass or metal, or impact with the front window. This can lead to scarring and disfigurement.
- Head injuries: Head injuries can happen when the victim’s head collides with the steering wheel, dashboard, or front or back window. Victims may suffer from concussions or more severe traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) that can do long-term cognitive damage.
- Internal injuries: Internal injuries often affect the heart, liver, or kidneys. They can cause internal bleeding and can be deadly.
- Mental trauma: Car crash victims may deal with emotional pain and suffering.
- Neck and spinal injuries: Car accidents often result in neck injuries such as whiplash, which occurs when the neck moves forward and then suddenly snaps back on impact. This can be severe enough to affect the spine and even cause paralysis.
Consult a Car Accident Attorney in Oceanside Today
A car crash can leave you with property damage, physical injuries, and emotional pain and suffering. If you were injured due to someone else’s neglectful behavior on the road, call Sargent Law Firm Injury Lawyers first.
Sargent Law Firm Injury Lawyers can provide you with a car accident lawyer you can count on, and the testimonials clients have left for us speak for themselves and provide you with an idea of what we can do for you. We will help you gather evidence to receive compensation from a third party’s insurance company. We will fight relentlessly to make sure you get the compensation you need.