When serious injuries lead to long-term impairment, a person’s entire life can change. Unable to perform their old duties at work, they may find themselves unemployed. Unable to care for themselves in the way they used to, victims of catastrophic injuries may require lifelong daily care in a nursing home facility.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, an Escondido catastrophic injury lawyer can help. A discussion of the facts and circumstance with a knowledgeable attorney can help you clarify your legal rights and options.
Common Types of Catastrophic Injuries
Escondido catastrophic injuries can occur in virtually any location or setting, but most frequently, they are a result of a car, motorcycle, or boating accident. Slip and fall accidents can also cause serious, life-changing injuries. Some of the most common catastrophic injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Regardless of the type of injury, an Escondido catastrophic injury lawyer can pursue the maximum compensation possible for victims.
Proving Catastrophic Injuries
Insurance companies tend to be very skeptical when reviewing catastrophic injury claims. Though they will conduct a thorough analysis of the nature and severity of the injuries, the company will also be looking for any reason possible to deny the claim. A knowledgeable Escondido catastrophic injury lawyer can help convince insurance companies to look past the following:
- Prior injuries
- Prior surgeries
- Preexisting conditions
- Previous car accidents
- Previous on-the-job injuries and worker’s compensation claims
Proving catastrophic injury claims often requires extensive medical knowledge and expert testimony. An Escondido catastrophic injury attorney can help individuals gather the medical and legal evidence they need to be successful with their claim.
Damages for Victims
When a person is catastrophically injured, their entire way of life often must change. They may not be able to perform in their old career the way they once could and may not be able to care for their family in the same way. With the help of an Escondido catastrophic injury lawyer, victims can seek the following types of compensation:
- Medical bills. This can include the cost of an ambulance, surgeries and even long-term physical therapy bills
- Lost wages. If a person missed work and wages because of their injury, a lawyer can help ensure they are compensated for that loss
- Lost earning capacity. When a person suffers a catastrophic injury, they often can no longer do their job in the same way. This can lead to unemployment. Compensation may be available in that case
- Related psychological conditions. Mental health problems stemming from the injury, like PTSD, can be costly. Get coverage for related psychiatry bills and therapy
- Lifetime care. In extreme cases, the victim may need long-term daily care in a nursing home facility. Compensation can help cover such costs
How an Escondido Catastrophic Injury Attorney Can Help
If you or someone you love has been severely or permanently injured because of someone else’s negligence in the state of California, you may be entitled to compensation.
An experienced Escondido catastrophic injury lawyer can help answer any questions you might have about your rights and legal options moving forward. They can also be your best advocate when battling an insurance company who wants to deny coverage. Call today for comprehensive, compassionate legal assistance.