Oceanside motorcyclists love the sense of freedom of riding their motorcycles. Our law firm also knows how dangerous motorcycles can be.
A motorcycle’s small size makes them difficult to see so they often fall into a driver’s blind spot. They also don’t provide much protection to riders so they can result in serious injuries.
Oceanside motorcycle accidents can lead to significant losses. If you were injured in a motorcycle wreck, you need a reliable Oceanside motorcycle accident lawyer on your side. The Sargent Law Firm can get you maximum compensation for your motorcycle injury.
What are Common Causes of Oceanside Motorcycle Accidents?
Motorcycle accidents can happen for a variety of reasons. Here are some more common ones.
The motorcycle is struck while within a driver’s blind spot
It’s common for motorcycles to fall into a driver’s spots when they are on the road. If the driver can’t see a motorcycle to the side of them, they may try to get over or turn when they don’t have clearance to do so. This can cause them to collide with the motorcyclist or run them off the road.
Disobeying the rules of the road
A vehicle may run red lights and stop signs and turn in ‘no-turn’ areas increasing the risk of an accident with motorcycle riders.
Today’s modern world is full of distractions. Drivers may become distracted by electronic devices, billboards, and even their own thoughts and fail to avoid a collision with a motorcyclist.
Debris in the road and potholes can cause cars to swerve out of control increasing the risk of an accident. These can be especially hazardous to motorcyclists that don’t have a lot of vehicle weight to balance them. Road hazard accidents may be the fault of the city or a contractor.
If there is an issue with a car or motorcycle such as failed brakes or steering, it can cause the vehicle to malfunction. A car manufacturer or mechanic may be blamed for this type of crash.
Is Lane Splitting Legal in California?
Lane splitting is another common cause of motorcycle accidents. It involves the motorcyclist driving between car lanes. It is often performed to allow the motorcyclist to get to their destination sooner.
The dangers of lane splitting mean it’s illegal in most states. But in California, there are no definitive laws making it legal or illegal.
Recently, a bill was passed by Senate called AB51 which would legalize lane splitting if certain precautions were taken. However, the controversial state of the bill is putting up roadblocks as it is being reviewed by the California State Attorney for approval. Its future is currently uncertain.
What Kind of Damages Can I Collect from an Oceanside Motorcycle Accident?
Your Oceanside motorcycle lawyer will help you put together a strong case that may allow you to collect damages for the following:
- Lost wages: These damages will cover the victim for any time needed to take off work to recover from their injuries.
- Loss of future earning potential: Sometimes injuries are so severe, they make the person unable to perform the duties of their current job. Or they may be unable to return to work at all.
- Current and future medical expenses: This applies to any care provided directly after the accident as well as any ongoing care that’s needed.
- Emotional pain and suffering: Many accident victims suffer from PTSD which may require mental medical care.
- Property damage: Property damage can include damage to the car, motorcycle or any other property involved.
- Wrongful death: If a person dies in the accident, additional damages may be collected by loved ones to cover burial and funeral expenses and the losses the family suffered. Punitive damages may come into play as well.
The amount you collect will depend on which of these damages pertain to you and the severity of your losses. Sargent Law Group Oceanside motorcycle accident attorneys will ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
What are Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries?
There are several types of injuries that can occur in a motorcycle accident. Here are some of the most common.
- Broken bones: Broken bones often occur in motorcycle accidents. The arms, collarbone, legs, and rib cage are prime locations for fractures.
- Road rash: Road rash happens when the motorcycle rider gets dragged along the road cement due to the impact of the crash. It can result in first-, second-, or third-degree burns.
- Head injuries: Head injuries are a common motorcycle injury. They include concussions and more severe traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). It is good to know the California enforces helmet laws for all motorcycle riders.
- Spine and neck injuries: It is common for riders to get whiplash due to the impact of the accident. It involves the neck going forward, then violently snapping back. In severe cases, it can also cause injury to the spine and may result in paralysis.
- Chest injuries: Chest injuries can happen when riders hit into their handlebars or when drivers collide with their airbags, seatbelts of dashboards. They can lead to cracked ribs and internal organ damage.
How an Oceanside Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Get You the Compensation You Deserve
You may have suffered severe injuries as a result of your motorcycle accident. The right Oceanside motorcycle accident lawyer will get you the compensation you deserve. Sargent Law Firm will help you gather evidence to build a strong case and get your damages compensated.
Ryan Sargent and his team have years of experience dealing with personal injury cases involving vehicle accidents. We are known for our terrific service and our winning results. We will fight relentlessly to make sure you get what you are owed.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, call Sargent Law Firm today. We will take the stress off your shoulders and ensure a positive outcome.