Oceanside Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Oceanside motorcyclists love the sense of freedom of riding their motorcycles. Our law firm also knows how dangerous motorcycles can be. A motorcycle’s small size makes them difficult to see so they often fall into a driver’s blind spot. They also don’t provide much protection to riders so they can result in serious injuries.
Oceanside motorcycle accidents can lead to significant losses. If you were injured in a motorcycle wreck, you need a reliable Oceanside motorcycle accident lawyer on your side. The Sargent Law Firm can get you maximum compensation for your motorcycle injury.
Damages an Oceanside Motorcycle Accident Attorney Can Pursue
Because motorcycles lack the protection and safety features of traditional vehicles, you are more at risk of suffering catastrophic injuries that have the potential to ruin you financially because of the many expenses you may incur. Your Oceanside motorcycle lawyer may be able to help you put together a strong case that could allow you to collect damages for the following:
- Lost wages: These damages will cover the victim for any time needed to take off work to recover from their injuries.
- Loss of future earning potential: Sometimes injuries are so severe, they make the person unable to perform the duties of their current job. Or they may be unable to return to work at all.
- Current and future medical expenses: This applies to any care provided directly after the accident as well as any ongoing care that’s needed.
- Emotional pain and suffering: Many accident victims suffer from PTSD which may require mental medical care.
- Property damage: Property damage can include damage to the car, motorcycle, or any other property involved.
- Home modifications: Your injuries may require you to adapt your home so you can retain your independence and mobility. This may mean the installation of ramps or railings.
- Wrongful death: If a person dies in an accident, our wrongful death lawyers can help. Damages may be collected by loved ones to cover burial and funeral expenses and the losses the family suffered. Punitive damages may come into play as well. Sargent Law Firm Injury Lawyers offers you our condolences and support during this painful time as you grieve.
The amount you collect will depend on which of these damages pertain to you and the severity of your losses. Our motorcycle accident attorneys will ensure you get the compensation you deserve by determining which damages apply to your case and calculating the amount of compensation that is adequate to cover them.
How an Oceanside Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Get You the Compensation You Deserve
Recovering fair compensation after a motorcycle accident can be a complex journey that is difficult without an experienced personal injury attorney at your side. You must first build your case and you must prove negligence by the liable party. This all takes time and work that you may not be willing to put in yourself. That’s where Sargent Law Firm Injury Lawyers comes in.
Our law firm primarily handles personal injury cases, including motorcycle accidents, so you don’t have to handle your case yourself. We can handle your case for you so you can focus on healing and grieving. If you hire us to take your case, we will:
- Thoroughly investigate the accident to determine the cause of your injuries and identify the liable party or parties.
- Collect evidence such as medical records, medical bills, police reports, traffic camera footage, photographs, witness accounts, and expert opinions to support your claim and prove negligence.
- Determine the value of your claim so we can seek a fair amount of compensation to cover your losses.
- Meet with the liable party and their insurer on your behalf to negotiate a settlement and review the terms of a settlement agreement with you.
- File a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit and represent you in court. We will prepare your case for presentation to a jury.
- Communicate with you and provide you with frequent updates.
- Protect your rights and advocate for your best interests.
- Walk you through the legal process and answer your questions directly and transparently.
You have enough to worry about without having to handle a legal case. We will lift this burden from your shoulders and handle your case with the utmost professionalism and compassion that you deserve.
Cost of a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Oceanside
Among your primary concerns about hiring an attorney is likely the cost. We understand this concern because personal injury victims typically have expenses that tighten their finances such as medical bills or being unable to work. At Sargent Law Firm Injury Lawyers, you don’t have to pay us unless we win your case because we work on a contingency fee basis.
This means you pay nothing unless we win and our fee is a percentage of the compensation we recover for you, an arrangement that we will explain in detail so there won’t be any surprises such as hidden fees or upfront costs. We also offer free consultations so you can discuss your case with us and ask questions.
Everyone should have access to legal representation, especially since the liable party and their insurer will likely have a team of lawyers working to deny you the fair compensation you are entitled to receive for your injuries and financial losses.
Our Oceanside Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Will Meet All Legal Deadlines
We strongly recommend consulting with a personal injury lawyer after a motorcycle accident if you are considering legal options. It takes time to build a case, and California only gives you two years to file a personal injury lawsuit, according to CCP § 335.1.
A lawyer can provide you with options and explain them to you while advising you. If you wait too long to file a lawsuit, you risk losing your right to recover compensation for damages through the courts. The defendant can file a motion to dismiss because the statute of limitations in your case ran out.
Don’t let the deadline in your case expire. A motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm will meet all deadlines in your case, including the statute of limitations. You deserve your day in court to hold the liable party accountable for your injuries and financial losses.
How Will an Oceanside Motorcycle Accident Attorney Prove Fault?
There are an infinite number of ways to be injured in a motorcycle accident. Some, however, are more common than others. Our Oceanside motorcycle accident attorneys have the experience to investigate and understand the causes behind your injuries.
We do this to identify the at-fault party and that allows us to hold them accountable. Our legal team can help prove some of these common causes:
A Driver’s Blind Spot
It’s common for motorcycles to fall into a driver’s spot when they are on the road. If the driver can’t see a motorcycle to the side of them, they may try to get over or turn when they don’t have clearance to do so. This can cause them to collide with the motorcyclist or run them off the road.
Disobeying the Rules of the Road
A careless driver may run red lights. Aggressive drivers may ignore stop signs and turn in ‘no-turn’ areas, increasing the risk of an accident with motorcycle riders.
Today’s modern world is full of distractions. Drivers may become distracted by electronic devices, billboards, or other passengers and fail to avoid a collision with a motorcyclist.
Debris in the road and potholes can cause cars to swerve out of control increasing the risk of an accident. These can be especially hazardous to motorcyclists who don’t have a lot of vehicle weight to balance them. Road hazard accidents may be the fault of the city or a contractor.
If there is an issue with a car or motorcycle such as failed brakes or steering, it can cause the vehicle to malfunction. A car manufacturer or mechanic may be blamed for this type of crash.
Is Lane Splitting Legal in California?
Lane-splitting is another common cause of motorcycle accidents. It involves the motorcyclist driving between car lanes. It is often performed to allow the motorcyclist to get to their destination sooner.
The dangers of lane-splitting mean it’s illegal in most states. But in California, there are no definitive laws making it legal or illegal. However, the defendant in your case could argue that you were partially at fault for the accident and your own injuries if you were lane-splitting.
What Are Common Injuries Oceanside Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Recover Damages For?
Every accident is unique and, unfortunately, so will yours. That means it is impossible to know how much your accident is worth from the outset. Our motorcycle accident attorneys in Oceanside will examine the totality of your experience and they will be able to determine how much compensation you are owed.
These are some of the more common types of injuries we have secured damages for:
- Broken bones: Broken bones often occur in motorcycle accidents. The arms, collarbone, legs, and rib cage are prime locations for fractures.
- Road rash: Road rash happens when the motorcycle rider gets dragged along the road cement due to the impact of the crash. It can result in first-, second-, or third-degree burns.
- Head injuries: Head injuries are common motorcycle injuries. They include concussions and more severe traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). California enforces helmet laws for all motorcycle riders. A helmet can save your life. Not wearing a helmet could also be used against you in court.
- Spine and neck injuries: It is common for riders to get whiplash due to the impact of the accident. It involves the neck going forward, then violently snapping back. In severe cases, it can also cause injury to the spine and may result in paralysis.
- Chest injuries: Chest injuries can happen when riders hit their handlebars or when drivers collide with their airbags, seatbelts, or dashboards. They can lead to cracked ribs and internal organ damage.
Any of these catastrophic injuries could impact you for years to come and threaten your financial future. We strongly urge you to seek medical treatment immediately after an accident. Your doctor can treat you in a timely manner to prevent further damage and can also document your injuries and treatments, which will be useful evidence to support your personal injury claim.
Steps to Take Before Contacting a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
A motorcycle crash carries a higher risk of injury, so taking a series of steps after an accident can save your life and begin the process of building your case should you decide to take legal action against the liable party.
- Move to a safe place: If you are able to do so, find a safe place to contact and wait for first responders. You don’t want to risk further injury by remaining in the middle of the road or highway.
- Call the police: You or someone else should call 911 to send police and EMTs to the accident scene. The police will prepare a report after investigating the accident, which you can request a copy of as evidence for your case.
- Seek medical attention: You should seek medical attention from EMTs at the scene or see your doctor as soon as possible. Some symptoms of major injuries such as head and spinal cord injuries may not present right away, so you could have a severe injury without knowing it. Time is critical with these types of injuries, so allow medical personnel to give you a full examination to be on the safe side.
- Gather evidence: If you are able, take photographs of the scene and request a copy of the police report. You can also collect contact information from witnesses.
- Consult a lawyer: A lawyer can help you file a claim and also file a lawsuit on your behalf, as well as present you with other options.
Consult a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Oceanside Today
You may have suffered severe injuries as a result of your motorcycle accident. The right Oceanside motorcycle accident lawyer will get you the compensation you deserve. Sargent Law Firm Injury Lawyers will help you gather evidence to build a strong case and get your damages compensated.
Ryan Sargent and his team have years of experience dealing with personal injury cases involving vehicle accidents. We are known for our terrific service and our winning results. We will fight relentlessly to make sure you get what you are owed.