In some instances, accidents can lead to severe injuries that can disable a person for a lifetime. When injuries are this severe, they are considered catastrophic, and they must be compensated for. An Oceanside catastrophic injury lawyer may be able to get you the compensation you deserve.
Sargent Law Firm Injury Lawyers has years of experience dealing with all types of personal injury lawsuits, including those involving life-changing injuries. We will handle your case so you can spend your time and energy healing from your injuries.
To learn more about how our Oceanside personal injury lawyer can help you, call us today at (844) SARGENT.
What Is a Catastrophic Injury?
A catastrophic injury is defined as an injury that “permanently prevents an individual from performing any gainful work.” It can greatly reduce their quality of life and get in the victim’s way of performing daily activities.
Catastrophic injuries typically require extensive medical care. They leave a person disabled for a considerable amount of time and sometimes cause permanent damage.
What Types of Damages Are Available for a Catastrophic Injury?
Catastrophic injuries are not only devastating to your health, but they also threaten to ruin you financially. These types of injuries require immediate and often extensive medical treatment. Medical bills are the top cause of bankruptcy in the United States, meaning a catastrophic injury could instantly change your life for the worse.
You have expenses and injuries that will take time to heal and are impacting your life. The liable party is to blame because of their negligence, which gives you the right to seek compensation. People who are injured in a catastrophic injury accident may be eligible to collect damages for:
- Lost income
- Loss of future earning potential
- Medical expenses (immediate and ongoing)
- Emotional pain and suffering
- Physical therapy
- Childcare expenses
- Property damage
- Home services (home and yard maintenance or cleaning)
- Modifications to your home and property
- Lost quality of life
Sadly, catastrophic injuries often result in death. If you lost someone you love because of a catastrophic injury, we offer you and your family our condolences, and our Oceanside wrongful death lawyer can help you pursue damages such as funeral costs, medical bills, and lost household services.
Our personal injury attorneys will work with accountants, medical professionals, and vocational counselors to determine the damages you are eligible to collect. The value of your case will depend on various factors such as the severity of your injuries, how much income you earn, and what your expenses are. Our firm has won multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts for victims, and our clients have left many testimonials that speak to our commitment to fight for you.
Benefits of Hiring a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Oceanside
If you are dealing with a major injury, handling your case yourself is a tall order. You may not even be able to leave your hospital bed to consult with an attorney, much less argue your case in court or speak to insurance companies. Our law firm primarily handles personal injury cases, which include catastrophic injuries. We have the experience to build your personal injury claim and the training to present it to a jury.
When you hire us to handle your case, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the cause of your injuries and identify the liable party as we work to discover the facts of your case.
- Gather evidence to prove negligence by the liable party and support your compensation claim.
- Communicate with you and provide regular updates on the status of your case as it progresses through the legal system.
- Travel to you to discuss your case if your injuries prevent you from visiting our office.
- Calculate the value of your claim and evaluate any settlement offers from the liable party and their insurance provider.
- Negotiate a settlement with the liable party and the insurer on your behalf that adequately covers your losses.
- Review the terms of a settlement agreement with you before you sign. You can choose to reject settlement offers.
- File a personal injury lawsuit seeking to recover compensation through the legal process. We will represent you in court and present your case to a jury.
You are not alone. A catastrophic injury lawyer from our firm can fight for you so you can seek the compensation you deserve and move forward. We will protect your rights every step of the way and help you understand the process, so you know what to expect.
If you hire us, we will treat you with respect, compassion, and professionalism. We will offer honest legal advice and help you seek justice from the negligent parties.
Cost of an Oceanside Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
Personal injury law firms, including our own, work on a contingency-fee basis. That means you don’t have to worry about the cost of hiring a lawyer because you don’t pay us until we win your case.
If you wish to discuss your case with us, we offer free initial consultations. We will evaluate your case, answer your questions, and let you know how we may be able to help you. There are also no hidden fees or upfront costs.
We understand your concerns about hiring a lawyer, but the liable party and their insurer will have lawyers working against you. Having a lawyer on your side evens the playing field and sends a message that you are serious about recovering compensation. We believe everyone should have access to legal representation regardless of their financial status.
Your Oceanside Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Will Work to Meet All Legal Deadlines
Taking time to consider your options is normal after a catastrophic injury. Your focus is rightfully on healing. However, we urge you to remain aware of the statute of limitations in your case. Typically, you only have two years from the date of your injury or loss to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit in California, according to CCP § 335.1.
If you fail to file a lawsuit by the deadline, the court will dismiss your case and you will be unable to recover financial compensation through the legal process. Consulting an attorney can help you consider your options. The earlier you come to us, the more time we have to build your case and file a lawsuit on your behalf before the statute of limitations expires.
Don’t let the liable party off the hook by failing to meet the filing deadline in your case. Start the process as soon as possible by reaching out to our firm. We will work to meet every deadline in your case, including the statute of limitations.
What Are Common Types of Catastrophic Injuries in Oceanside?
There are several common types of catastrophic injuries our Oceanside lawyers handle as cases. These include:
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries can result in damage to the vertebrae, ligaments, or disks. They can cause paralysis, loss of strength and sensation, and diminished motor skills.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): TBIs are caused by a sudden trauma to the brain. They can lead to blurry vision, confusion, issues with concentration, and other cognitive functions such as speaking.
- Neck injuries: When the neck suddenly snaps forward or backward, you could experience whiplash, fractures, and spinal cord damage.
- Burn injuries: Burns to the skin can be caused by heat, radiation, electricity, friction, radioactivity, or contact with chemicals. Serious burns can cause infections, scarring, bone and joint problems, low body temperature, and a loss of fluids. They may require surgery and ongoing treatment.
- Organ damage: Organs can be ruptured, crushed, bruised, or destroyed in an accident. Internal organ injuries may not be apparent at first, but they may worsen in pain over time. You could be bleeding internally without knowing it at first.
- Multiple bone fractures: Bone fractures typically heal over time but in some cases, they can lead to extensive surgeries and permanent damage. This is especially likely to occur if multiple bones break.
- Amputations: Severe injuries to the feet, legs, hands, and arms can result in amputations that greatly reduce a person’s ability to perform certain tasks.
We recommend that injury victims seek immediate medical treatment after an accident, even if you don’t believe you have any injuries. Some symptoms of catastrophic injuries such as head, neck, and spinal cord injuries may not present until later. This leaves you vulnerable to injuries that worsen over time, making it more difficult for your doctor to prevent or reverse the damage.
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries in Oceanside
Many incidents can result in catastrophic injuries. These include the following:
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Road accidents such as car crashes, bus accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, and others, can all lead to catastrophic injuries. People can be injured due to heavy impacts, fire, flying debris, and contact with the road. Collisions can be the fault of another driver, the car manufacturer, the city, or a construction contractor, depending on the circumstances of the catastrophic injury.
People can be catastrophically injured in the workplace due to improper workplace procedures or unsafe environments. If a workplace accident occurs, the employer, the premises owner, or a coworker may be responsible. If you were hurt while doing your job, you can file a workers’ compensation claim.
Premises Liability Accidents
It is up to a property owner to keep their property safe for visitors. If you are injured on another person’s property because the owner was neglectful in their maintenance duties, they may be liable for the accident. These kinds of accidents include slip & falls, dog bites, or any known hazard that a property owner fails to repair or properly warn guests or patrons about.
If products are defective, they can cause serious injuries. When a product defect accident occurs, it may be the fault of the manufacturer or the company responsible for labeling the product. All warnings must be included on a product to point out potential dangers.
Nursing Home Accidents
When you put an elderly loved one in a nursing home, you expect them to get the best of care. Unfortunately, incidents of neglect and abuse can happen in nursing homes. If your relative was injured in a nursing home, you may be able to go after the company, workers, or maintenance crew for compensation.
How Is Negligence Determined in an Oceanside Catastrophic Injury Accident?
The state of California enforces a pure contributory negligence system for all personal injuries. That means that a victim is entitled to compensation for injuries caused by another person’s negligence regardless of their percentage of fault.
For example, a person may have been engaging in dangerous behavior that makes them partially responsible for their own injuries. In the state of California, they could recover compensation even if they were 99% to blame for the accident.
However, the damages they receive will be reduced by the amount they were responsible for. So, if total damages were $100,000, and they were found to be 50% responsible for the accident, they would only be able to collect $50,000.
Contact Our Oceanside Catastrophic Injury Attorneys for Help With Your Claim
If you suffered a catastrophic injury in an accident you didn’t cause, you deserve compensation. Our Oceanside catastrophic accident attorneys will gather evidence to build a case on your behalf. We are experienced negotiators and are not afraid to fight for you in court if it comes to it. You and your family should be able to move forward knowing that the future is secure, and the liable party was held accountable.
Call or contact Sargent Law Firm Injury Lawyers for a free initial consultation today at (844) SARGENT. We will discuss your case and explain how our catastrophic injury attorneys in Oceanside pursue fair compensation.