In some instances, accidents can lead to severe injuries that can disable a person for a lifetime.
When injuries are this severe, they are considered catastrophic, and they must be compensated for. An Oceanside catastrophic injury lawyer can get you the compensation you deserve.
The Sargent Law Firm wields considerable expertise dealing with all types of personal injury lawsuits, including those involving life-changing injuries.
What is a Catastrophic Injury?
A catastrophic injury is defined as an injury that “permanently prevents an individual from performing any gainful work.” It can greatly reduce their quality of life and get in the victim’s way of the performing daily activities.
Catastrophic injuries typically require extensive medical care. They leave a person disabled for a considerable amount of time and sometimes cause permanent damage.
What are Common Types of Catastrophic Injuries?
There are several common types of catastrophic injuries our Oceanside lawyers handle as cases. These include:
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries can result in damage to the vertebrae, ligaments, or disks. They can cause paralysis, lost strength, sensation, and diminished motor skills.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): TBIs are caused by a sudden trauma to the brain. They can lead to blurry vision, confusion, and issues with concentration and other cognitive functions.
- Burn injuries: Burns to the skin can be caused by heat, radiation, electricity, friction, radioactivity, or contact with chemicals. Serious burns can cause infections, scarring, bone and joint problems, low body temperature, and a loss of fluids. They may require surgery and ongoing treatment.
- Organ damage: Organs can be ruptured, crushed, bruised, or totally destroyed in an accident. Internal organ injuries may not be apparent at first, but they may worsen in pain over time.
- Multiple bone fractures: Bone fractures typically heal over time but in some cases, they can lead to extensive surgeries and permanent damage. This is especially likely to occur if multiple bones break.
- Amputations: Severe injuries to the feet, legs, hands, and arms can result in amputations that greatly reduce a person’s ability to perform certain tasks.
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries in Oceanside?
There are many situations that can lead to catastrophic injuries. These include the following:
Motor vehicle accidents
Road accidents such as car crashes, bus accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, and others, can all lead to catastrophic injuries. People can be injured due to heavy impacts, fire, flying debris and contact with the road. Collisions can be the fault of another driver, the car manufacturer, the city, or a construction contractor, depending on the circumstances of the catastrophic injury.
People can be catastrophically injured in the workplace due to improper workplace procedures or unsafe environments. If a workplace accident occurs, the employer, the premises owner, or a co-worker may be responsible.
It is up to a property owner to keep their property safe for visitors. If you are injured on another person’s property because the owner was neglectful in their maintenance duties, they may be liable for the accident.
When products are defective, they can cause serious injuries. When a product defect accident occurs, it may be the fault of the manufacturer or the company responsible for labeling the product. All warnings must be included on a product to point out potential dangers.
Nursing Home Accidents
When you put an elderly loved one in a nursing home, you expect them to get the best of care. unfortunately, incidents of neglect and abuse are common in nursing homes. If your relative was injured in a nursing home, you may be able to go after the company, workers, or maintenance crew for compensation.
A person may be catastrophically injured when attacked by a dog or another type of animal. If the animal is domestic, the owner may be responsible for the injuries.
Catastrophic injuries can also be caused by intentional acts such as assault or sexual abuse. Sargent Law Firm has skilled lawyers in Oceanside who understand the right approach to getting compensation for the negligent acts against catastrophic injury victims.
What Type of Damages are Available for a Catastrophic Injury?
People who are injured in a catastrophic injury may be eligible to collect damages for:
- A loss of wages
- A loss of future earning potential
- Medical expenses (immediate and ongoing)
- Emotional pain and suffering
An Oceanside catastrophic injury law firm will work with accountants, medical professional, and vocational counselors to determine the damages you are liable to collect.
How is Negligence Determined in a Catastrophic Accident?
The state of California enforces a pure contributory negligence system for all personal injuries. That means that a person is entitled compensation for injuries caused by another person’s negligence regardless of how responsible they were for the damages.
For example, a person may have been engaging in dangerous behavior that makes them partially responsible for their own injuries. In the state of California, they can get compensation even if they were 99% to blame.
However, the damages they receive will be reduced by the amount they were responsible. So, if total damages were $100,000, and they were found to be 50% responsible for the accident, they would only be able to collect $50,000.
Contact Our Oceanside Catastrophic Injury Attorneys to Help With Your Claim
If you incurred a catastrophic injury in an accident, you deserve compensation. Our Oceanside catastrophic accident attorneys will gather evidence to build a strong case. We are experienced negotiators for reasonable settlements and are not afraid to fight for you in court if it comes to it.
If you were badly injured in an accident, call or contact Sargent Law Firm online today. We will see to it that justice is served.