If you suffered a brain injury in Boise or lost a loved one as a result of a brain injury, a brain injury lawyer from the Sargent Law Firm can help you recover the financial compensation you deserve.
We help those who have suffered personal injuries by providing the highest level of legal representation. Let us handle the legal aspects of your case so you can focus on healing from your injuries. Call us today for a free consultation.
How Brain Injuries Impact Victims’ Lives
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can be life altering. In many cases, victims never fully recover. Unlike most other bodily tissues, the brain cannot regenerate cells. Once cells are damaged, or connections between them are severed, their functions are forever lost unless the brain can learn to perform them via an alternative neural pathway.
Victims could have lasting issues with their movement, senses, emotions, cognitive abilities, or even changes in their personality. Those who lose essential physical or mental abilities might have to abandon or completely alter plans and lifestyle arrangements. In addition to being catastrophic, this can also be extremely costly.
Some of the expenses you may face if you have a TBI include:
- Multiple surgeries
- Ongoing physical or speech therapy
- Counseling or psychological services
- Professional around-the-clock care
Families may not have the financial resources to provide these things for their loved ones after an accident. If you face this burden because of another’s careless, illegal, or unlawful behavior, you may need a brain injury attorney to get the compensation and help you are legally entitled to.
A personal injury lawyer in Boise will calculate your TBI-related expenses now and in the future to make sure you are compensated for all of your damages.
How Negligence Can Lead to Accidents That Cause Brain Injuries
When someone is injured through an act of negligence, it is a preventable injury, and the at-fault party needs to be held accountable.
Some ways negligence can lead to traumatic brain injuries include:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Premises liability accidents
The Sargent Law Firm in Boise, Idaho is ready to fight for you and your loved ones. If you or your relative is a victim of a brain injury, contact our Boise office today to begin developing your personalized legal strategy. Our clients are our top priority.
How Long You Have to File a Claim for a Traumatic Brain Injury in Idaho
The Idaho statute of limitations to file a personal injury lawsuit for a traumatic brain injury (TBI) is two years from the date of injury.
Some key details on Idaho’s time limit for filing brain injury claims include:
- The two-year clock starts ticking on the date the TBI occurred, not when it was diagnosed.
- Minors under age 18 have until age 19 to file, or two years from injury, whichever is later.
- Government tort claims have much shorter deadlines – often only 180 days.
- Failing to sue liable parties within two years forfeits the right to recover damages under Idaho law in most cases.
If you or a loved one have been the victim of an act of negligence that resulted in a brain injury, a Boise personal injury lawyer can begin building a solid case before this timeframe passes. Remember that the quality of evidence can diminish over time, and witnesses’ memories can fade.
Our Recent Idaho Personal Injury Lawyer Case Results
As brain injury lawyers in Boise, our goal is to provide the highest level of legal representation and financial compensation for our clients. Here are some of Sargent Law Firm’s recent results.
This is only a partial list of recent results. Past results obtained on behalf of our clients are not a guarantee that the same or similar results can be achieved in your case. All cases are different and must be evaluated independently based on their own merits. Call today and speak with a lawyer for a free evaluation of your case.
The Average Settlement for a Traumatic Brain Injury Claim in Boise, ID
When it comes to personal injury settlements, there is no average amount you can expect a case to settle for. Brain injuries can have catastrophic consequences and serious expenses, and in general, your compensation will be based on the severity of your injuries. The more seriously you are injured, the more you are likely to get.
Brain injury claims can settle for $200,000, $500,000, or more. How much are you likely to get in a TBI settlement? Once your Boise brain injury lawyer has had a chance to carefully review your evidence, we will be able to give you an estimate of your potential settlement or court award.
How to Claim Compensation for a Traumatic Brain Injury in Boise
In order to make a claim for compensation for a brain injury, you will need to prove that certain conditions were met. Your lawyer will use evidence to:
- Demonstrate that a duty of care was owed to you by the defendant. For example, drivers have a responsibility to drive safely and watch for pedestrians.
- Show that the defendant breached their duty of care through negligent actions. For example, they were texting while driving and hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk.
- Establish a causal link between the breach of duty and the accident. For example, using evidence like witness testimony or video connecting the distracted driving to the crash.
- Prove that you sustained an injury and damages as a direct result of the defendant’s negligence. This could be done by using extensive medical records and expert testimony to validate that the collision caused the traumatic brain injury.
- Quantify all categories of damages using evidence. This could be proof of medical billing, accounts of lost income, assessments of disability for loss of future earnings, etc.
- Identify all liable parties. At-fault parties could include scenarios like a driver and employer in a work vehicle accident – and their respective liability share.
Obtaining compensation proving the at-fault party’s negligence directly caused your brain injury and the associated losses. Brain injury attorneys know how to establish liability to prove your case.
Why You Should Choose Sargent Law Firm for Your TBI Claim in Boise
Working with the Sargent Law Firm is easy. After you sign up with our traumatic brain injury lawyers in Boise, we will immediately get to work contacting the insurance company, and creating a specific legal plan for your case.
The Sargent Law Firm, led by Ryan Sargent, has the experience and know-how to handle even the most complicated brain injury cases. Sargent and his team understand that brain injury cases can be especially stressful and trying, so we make it our mission to alleviate as much stress from our clients’ lives as possible.
We will always seek to maximize the compensation our clients are legally entitled to. Our Boise, Idaho, brain injury lawyers have experience in complex, lengthy litigation with a proven track record of success. We are more than happy to provide references and examples of our success.
4 Tips You Should Follow for a Successful TBI Claim in Boise
- If you aren’t too seriously injured to do so, take photos and videos of the scene of the accident that caused your traumatic brain injury. You will also want to collect witness statements and witness contact information when possible.
- Reach out to a traumatic brain injury lawyer in Boise. It takes time to create a strategy to prove a claim and get adequate compensation. The earlier we begin building your case for compensation, the better.
- Get immediate medical attention and make sure to attend all follow-up visits. Your health should be your priority if you’ve been injured, and it’s also important to create a medical record that documents your injuries and prognosis.
- Do not talk to the insurance company without legal representation, and do not talk about your accident online at all. Anything you say can be used to devalue your claim by making your injuries look less serious than they are.
Why You Should Not Talk to Insurance Agents After a TBI in Boise
Insurance companies are typically responsible for paying the victims of traumatic brain injuries that are caused by negligence. However, that doesn’t mean they are eager to do so. Insurance agents have certain tactics they may use to devalue or deny your claim. This is why we strongly recommend that you do not speak to an insurance company or sign any agreement until you’ve had a chance to talk to us.
Here’s why you should avoid discussing details of your traumatic brain injury with insurance agents in Boise before obtaining legal counsel:
- They seek information to deny or minimize liability and claims, not to help you. Even if the agent is friendly, they may still use your statements against your interests.
- You may not yet understand the full extent of your injuries and losses, and that’s what the insurance company is counting on. An attorney can fight for adequate compensation.
- They may pressure you with quick, low settlement offers before the damages are fully calculated. They are hoping you will be eager enough for help with bills that you will settle for less.
- Complex TBI symptoms like cognitive impairment can make it hard to advocate yourself and avoid manipulation. A lawyer for TBIs in Boise will stand up for your rights.
- You may be unknowingly forfeiting certain rights or options without representation. Your lawyer will advocate for your rights and advise you of your options.
- Unlike TBI accident victims, insurance adjusters handle claims daily. The playing field is uneven, giving you an unfair disadvantage.
- What you say may conflict with later statements, hurting your credibility. This can negatively affect the value of your claim.
What You Can Expect During Your Boise Brain Accident Attorney Consultation
Fear of the unknown may be holding you back when you’re deciding whether or not to file a personal injury claim for your brain injury. Here’s what you can expect during an initial consultation with a brain injury lawyer in Boise:
- Case Review: The lawyer will ask questions about your accident and review any evidence to evaluate potential negligence and liability.
- Feedback On Your Options: We’ll provide candid feedback on the strength of your case, the viability of your legal claim, and the likelihood of obtaining compensation.
- Explanation of the Process: We will outline the litigation process, the key steps involved, the estimated timeframes, and then help set expectations.
- Fee Discussion: We’ll explain our contingent fee structure and the percentage you would take home from any settlement or award.
- Client Expectations: We will discuss what we’ll expect from you as the client if you decide to retain us.
- Lawyer’s Background: We’ll provide details on our specific experience with your type of case and track record of results.
- Preliminary Case Strategy: We’ll offer a high-level strategy for how we’d approach proving your case and establishing damages.
- Your Next Steps: We will explain the subsequent actions if you decide to hire us and answer any remaining questions you have.
The consultation provides an opportunity to get expert feedback on your potential case, learn how the lawyer would approach it, and make an informed decision about legal representation. You can read our client testimonials to learn more about what you can expect when you work with us.
Talk to a Brain Injury Lawyer in Boise, Idaho, for Free
You don’t have to make any decisions about whether or not to file a claim to talk to one of our Boise brain injury lawyers. You can contact us online or call us to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation consultation with Sargent Law Firm. We are happy to answer your questions as you explore your legal options in Idaho.