Filing a San Diego Workers' Compensation Claim with an Unresponsive Employer

If you were injured on the job and you reported the injury, then your employer is supposed to provide you with information concerning their workers’ compensation insurance and how you should proceed to get your injuries and expenses covered by that insurance policy. However, if your employer is unresponsive on this matter, you may be completely lost and confused about what you’re supposed to do next. You need to have the workers’ compensation insurance information so that you pursue your claim with the appropriate entity and receive the health care benefits and financial compensation that you need and deserve while treating and recovering from your injury.

Your claim can be delayed or denied if you do not obtain this information and start your claim in a timely manner. Even during the investigation process, you should still receive medical benefits up to $10K. For these reasons, if you find that your employer is unresponsive when it comes to providing workers’ compensation insurance information after a work-related injury, you should contact a San Diego workers’ compensation attorney. In this way, you can ensure that you have the necessary advice and guidance to pursue your claim in a timely manner and work around any difficulties presented by an unresponsive employer. Contact The Sargent Firm Injury Lawyers to learn more.

Categories of Workers’ Compensation Insurance in California

There are different categories for workers’ compensation insurance in California. There are also employers who do not carry workers’ compensation insurance, and there is a fund set up to address these situations. The three legal categories are the regularly insured employers, the self-insured employers, and the lawfully uninsured (employers who are not required to carry workers’ compensation insurance). Then, there are those employers who are illegally uninsured.

Regularly insured employers are those who have typical workers’ compensation coverage, which can be found through an internet search if the employer is unresponsive on the matter. You can visit the Workers’ Compensation Insurance Rating Bureau website and enter your employer’s name. You do need the accurate name, which can be found on your check stub. In this way, you can find out the information that you need to seek workers’ compensation coverage for your work related injury.

Self-insured employers can also be found online, on the website of the State of California Department of Industrial Relations, which has a list of self-insured employers in California. These employers obtain their workers’ compensation insurance through an Office of Self Insurance program. They are usually small businesses, and they often use Third Party Administrators to address their claims.

Employers Without Workers’ Compensation

Certain employers are not legally required to carry workers’ compensation (such as the State of CA), though these are few and far between. In most cases, if your employer does not carry worker’s compensation coverage, they are illegally uninsured and are therefore required to compensate your claim themselves. There is a fund set up to address the workers’ compensation claims of employees whose employers are illegally uninsured and refuse to pay the owed compensation and benefits. If you need to take this path, you will find that it is complex and confusing for most people, so it is wise to seek the guidance and representation of an attorney.

Steps to Take With an Unresponsive Employer

Even if you do everything right, reporting your injury, seeking medical treatment right away, keeping track of your documents and bills and lost wages, you can still run into difficulties if your employer is unresponsive regarding workers’ compensation insurance information.

Fortunately, in many cases, you can look up your employer and their insurance details online, using the websites mentioned above. You can also benefit from the advice and assistance of a skilled lawyer. If you run into any difficulties with workers’ compensation in California, whether it is due to your employer’s unresponsiveness or lack of insurance, or a claim that has been denied or minimized by the insurance provider, an attorney can help.

Our Locations


2424 Vista Way #102
Oceanside, CA 92054


140 N Escondido Blvd
Escondido, CA 92025


27247 Madison Ave #200
Temecula, CA 92590


41197 Golden Gate Circle, Suite 108
Murrieta, CA 92562

Coeur d'Alene

1450 Northwest Blvd Suite 104
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814

It’s free to speak with us and learn the value of your case today.

Available 24/7

or Use the Form Below to Get Started:

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
100% Confidential