Preventing Distracted Driving – Idaho Auto Crash Law Firm
Preventing Distracted Driving: Every year, there are thousands of car accidents in the state of Idaho. These accidents range in severity, with some being mere finder benders to others being catastrophic accidents involving multiple vehicles. Not all of these accidents are unavoidable. In fact, many are completely avoidable and were caused by distracted driving. This article will attempt to discuss some of the most common and preventable distracted driving causes.
- Do not use your cell phone while driving
- This is one of the most dangerous things someone can do behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. In fact, many states are now pursuing laws that will ban the practice all together. Idaho has already banned texting while driving, which is a positive step. Study after study has confirmed that the use of a cell phone while driving greatly decreases one’s ability to focus on driving. Even if you are a “multi-tasker” the risks are too great. Put down the cell phone while you’re behind the wheel. If you need to use your phone, pull over. It isn’t just your life on the line; it’s everyone else’s too.
- Do not drive drowsy
- In too many cases do drivers get behind the wheel without being properly awake and rested. This is often the case either early in the morning or late at night. Studies and medical professionals have confirmed that certain levels of tiredness are the equivalent of being intoxicated. You would not drive while drunk, so don’t drive when drowsy.
- Limit the number of distractions in your vehicle
- This is generally a problem with younger drivers more so than more experienced motorists. Teenagers will often chauffer their friends around; these friends could possibly be a little “rowdy,” causing distractions in the vehicle. This inherently takes away the driver’s attention from the most important thing: the road. So, if you are carrying passengers, make sure you have limited the activity that is allowed in your vehicle. The more people in a car, the more lives are at risk, so take all the necessary precautions.
- Avoid eating while driving
- This one tends to be the most difficult for people. With the prevalence of fast-food restaurants and drive-thrus, getting a quick bite on the road is easier than ever. However, eating while driving is akin to texting while driving. It could be argued it is a lesser distraction, but it is a distraction nonetheless. Be prudent with your choices. When you are driving, you should be paying full attention to actually driving the vehicle.
The Sargent Firm, located in Idaho, is a personal injury firm with specialists dealing with car accidents and related injuries. If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident due to another individual’s negligence, carelessness, or recklessness, contact us today to begin your quest for the financial compensation package that you deserve and are legally entitled to.
Boise, ID | Couer d’Alene, ID | Sandpoint, ID