Choosing the right attorney is important for the success of a wrongful death claim. Having the right attorney can make or break the case. You need an attorney who is knowledgeable, experienced, organized, and has the passion to advocate for your just compensation. Finding the right attorney can be timely, but do not underestimate the importance. Take the time to talk to a potential attorney and determine if is the “right” fit. Having an attorney that is experienced and capable of handling a case is important, but it is just as important to find an attorney with whom you can have a relationship.
When meeting with a potential attorney, there are essential questions that must be asked and discussed.
- How many wrongful death claims have you handled? There is no such thing as having too much experience. Ask an attorney how many wrongful death claims they have handled and what the outcome of those cases were. Find out how many cases the attorney has taken to trial versus how many cases the attorney has settled out of court. It is important to know that your attorney will be able to see your case through to the end, whether that be in trial or settlement.
- Who will be handling my case day-to-day? Different law firms handle their cases in different ways. One attorney may get assigned a case and only that attorney will be involved. Other firms have a team of attorneys working on any given case. It is essential to know who is working on your case so that you can stay informed about everything that is going on.
- What is the attorney/law firm’s caseload? You need to be sure that your attorney will be able to give your case the time and attention needed to be successful. Additionally, making sure that there is qualified support staff to assist an attorney is necessary. Make sure you know that there is a competent team/attorney that has the time necessary to work on your case, even if it goes to trial.
- What is your client communication policy? Understanding a legal claim can be complicated. You will have questions. You need an attorney that is going to answer those questions and explain everything to you.
- Do you work off of a contingency fee? Most personal injury/wrongful death attorneys do not ask for payment throughout the case, but instead will be compensated through a portion of the settlement or judgment amount.
- Do you have formed client testimonials I can read? Reputation is important in the legal field. Some attorneys get clients because of the excellent work they did in a case and that news spread. Reading client testimonials of a firm can be an assurance that the attorney is able handle your case.
The experienced wrongful death attorneys at The Sargent Firm Injury Lawyers are here for you. We combine knowledge, experience, and compassion to assert your legal rights and get you the compensation that you deserve. Call us today to set up a free consultation.